By Judy Nichols
The Cedar County Historical Society met on Monday, Aug. 26, at the museum in Stockton. Members present were, President Judy Nichols, Vice President Judith Cain, Treasurer Anna Hopkins, Chris Barber and Bob Phillips. Secretary Connie Maupin was not able to attend, so Judy Nichols recorded the meeting minutes.
Judy Nichols reported on the Museum Maintenance account. Funds will be added to the account to purchase LED light tubes to replace old fluorescent tubes that are 14 years old. More business cards need to be printed before the Black Walnut Festival.
Bob Phillips gave his monthly history program about James Marion Jackson, aka: J. M. Jackson, 1838-1915, who was the son of Jefferson Jackson, a pioneer to Cedar County from Roane County, TN. J. M. was a prominent businessman in Cedar County and the owner of J. M. Jackson Dry Goods on the square in Stockton. He started his business after he returned from the Civil War in 1865 having served in the 5th. Missouri Calvary. He owned 240 valuable acres near Bear Creek (Paynterville) and held interest in the general mercantile store there. He was an energetic businessman and also owned interest in the Kennedy-Jackson and Company mercantile store once located at the corner of N-Spur and 1st Street in Caplinger Mills.
In 1866, James Marion married Sarah Bacon who was also born on Roane County, TN, the daughter of Abel and Hannah (Hembree) Bacon. The Bacon and Hembree families were also pioneers of Cedar County and lived just east of Stockton.
James became a Royal Arch Mason in the 1870’s and his Mason’s apron is on display at the museum, along with his display case and account books from the dry goods store in Stockton. James Marion later started a mercantile store in Humansville and resided there until his death at the age of 77 in 1915. He is buried in the Humansville City Cemetery.
Members are still planning to take a tour of the Stockton Dam in October. A date will not be able to be confirmed until the first part of October due to the water level of the lake and the generation of electricity. Visitors can not go below the dam if they are generating electricity due to noise and safety issues.
Judy Nichols attended the Stockton City Park Board meeting on Aug. 1. She was advised that the old jail stones the Society had offered to donate to the Park Board as a back-drop and retaining wall for the Vietnam War Memorial wall may no longer be needed due to the prohibitive cost of moving them. They are researching several different ideas for plans to build the memorial. They will contact the Society with the final plan.
Several Society publications have been re-printed and some are currently on order to bring the inventory back to an acceptable level. They are: 1908 Plat Book, Jerico Lyceum, Goodspeed’s History of Cedar County, the 1961 Lake Overlay maps, Caplinger Lyceum and Early Days in Cedar County. Members voted to adjust prices for some of the Society’s publications. Chris Barber will make corrections on the Society Facebook page. Judy Nichols has completed the yearly inventory of books that the Society sells.
Judith Cain, Anna Hopkins and Judy Nichols will obtain bids for museum insurance for discussion at the next meeting.
Judy Nichols pointed-out the Huff Sister’s photographs that have been moved from three old frames that were in very bad condition to a new larger frame that has descriptive labels beneath the photos for reference. That frame and other refurbished frames and photos are located on the wire rack next to the church pew in the meeting area.
Sheriff McCrary has not given the Cedar County Court a decision about the Society’s offer to donate some stones from the 1888 jail for a marker with a plaque in front of the current jail to commemorate the old jail that was torn down in 2007.
The September work schedule for the museum was discussed. The museum will be open Sept. 7, 21 and during the Black Walnut Festival, Sept. 26, 27 and 28. Members also worked on the Festival schedule and will keep it updated via e-mail among members who volunteer to work. The raffle sales for the twin-sized hand stitched quilt and the Wonders of Wildlife National Museum and Aquarium are going well. The winner will be drawn the last night of the Black Walnut Festival.
Connie Maupin mailed Best Chioce labels to the company for a refund.
Stockton’s 3rd Grade History and Science teacher, Christa Price, will bring about 60 students to tour the museum before the Black Walnut Festival.
Jeff Stacy donated some periodicals and the Book of Grand Champions of the Mo. Foxtrotting Horse Breed Association. that contain members from Cedar County. They will be placed in the museum research library.
The Museum will be open to the public on Sept. 7 and 21 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and during the monthly meeting which is the last Monday of the month from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. It will be open during the Black Walnut Festival on Friday, Sept. 27, from noon to 7 p.m. and on Saturday, Sept. 28 from 10 a.m. to p.m. Admission is free, however the Historical Society and Museum are not tax funded and operate on donations from the public and sale of our publications. The museum is wheel chair accessible. The next meeting will be Sept. 30 in the museum at 106 West Davis Street in Stockton. For information, appointments or to purchase publications, call 417-276-1142, by email at email@example.com, on Facebook at “Cedar County Mo Historical Society” or by mail at P.O. Box 111, Stockton, MO 65785.