TOPS Chapter 0319 El Dorado Springs met in the Church Of Christ meeting room on Thursday, Oct. 10, for the weekly weigh in and meeting.
Co-Leader Judy called the meeting to order. Kay led us in singing “O Give Me A Loss.” We said our pledges and had roll call.
Judy announced 21 members weighed in and the chapter had a net loss of 2.8 lbs. The best loser of the week was Kay with a loss of 2.2 lbs. Other good losses were Marie with a loss of 2 lbs, Juda lost 1.4 Marasia and Verna each lost 1.2 lbs.
Winner of the white elephant “losers” game was Marie.
Carol gave a short impromptu program titled 13 things you did not know about organic foods from prevention magazine.
1. Organic food is not a super food. It has not been proven organic provides any more nutrition.
2. Don’t picture happy animals roaming on a happy farm.
3. Not all 100% organic. It only has to be 95% to be labeled organic.
4. All natural is meaningless, FDA does not regulate.
5. Pregnant women and kids may benefit most by organic.
6. Organic seafood labels mean nothing. They are not regulated.
7. Organic junk food is still junk food.
8. You cannot rinse off pesticides. Washing does remove food born illness.
9. Names of organic foods mean nothing. Bear Naked is owned by Pepsi Company.
10. Save your milk dollars. Milk from cows given hormones is safe for kids. Skim milk organic or not is best.
11. Look for produce stickers with 5 digit codes beginning with 9.
12. Even if the food is organic it has traveled over 1000 miles to get to you. Consider local farmers market.
13. Don’t skip fruits or veggies, organic or not. Any plant rich diet is good.
A great discussion followed Carol’s presentation. Thank you Carol.
TOPS welcomes anyone who is interested in a healthier life style and wants to have fun and make new friends to join us at anytime. We meet each Thursday morning in the Church of Christ Meeting Room, 302 E. Hospital Rd., EI Dorado Springs.
Our weigh in is from 7:45-8:30 a.m.
The meeting is from 8:45 to 10 a.m. We welcome both men (we have four men in the club now) and women from all age groups. Our members range in age from 29 to 89.
For more information, call Robbie Chase at 417-876-0233 or Juda at 876-4888. Or TOPS toll free number 1 800-932-8677 or you can find us on the web at www.tops.org. Come and join us.
We would like to start an evening chapter for those who are unable to attend daytime meetings. Please call Robbie Chase at 417 876 0233 to discuss starting an evening chapter.