A bill to increase sales tax for highways clears a House committee

Posted February 20, 2014 at 12:52 pm

by Xavier Crayton-Bradford

Missourians would be asked to pay a penny more per sales tax under a measure approved Tuesday, Feb. 11, by the House Transportation Committee.

The committee moved the bill forward with an 11-2 vote. The bill would give Missouri voters the choice to increase sales tax by one cent during a 10-year period.

The bill would delegate 10 percent of the revenue from the tax to go toward local transportation funds for cities and counties, and the remaining 90 percent would go to the Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT).

In a hearing about future transportation plans, MoDOT explained that it could not maintain Missouri’s transportation system without more money.