Community

DAR INSTALLS OFFICERS

DAR INSTALLS OFFICERS – The Elizabeth Carey Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution met Tuesday, May 8, in El Dorado Springs. The group, meeting for the first time in El Dorado Springs, enjoyed lunch at Camp Galilee and heard a talk from Camp Director Katrina Herschberger.   The following 2018 – 2019 officers

[ Read More ]

Providing information

BED BUGS Q: I brought my 11-year-old son in, and you told me he had bed bug bites.  I looked carefully, and in his bed there are these tiny little black bugs.  I tried some insecticide that I bought.  They got better for a while, but they are as bad as ever.  Any different ideas?

[ Read More ]

Get to know the VFW Ladies Auxiliary

The VFW Ladies Auxiliary is one of the nation’s oldest organizations serving veterans. Our members are the relatives of those military personnel who have served in overseas combat. Locally the Spicer Grimsley VFW Post 257 Ladies Auxiliary meets at 7 p.m. the first Monday night of each month at in the post building on the

[ Read More ]

Thank Yous

The coolest man in El Dorado It all started when I heard about the VFW essay contest. Being interested in writing, I decided to actually go above and beyond in this assignment in Mrs. Cooper’s English class. And boy did I! Expressing my feeling was what I thought I was doing, but really I was

[ Read More ]

GREAT SUCCESS

GREAT SUCCESS – Fugate Ford Motors presented their 8th annual Hot Rod Performance Day from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Saturday, April 28. The event was a very success fundraiser for Bright Futures raising over $900 from the sales of food. Fugate generously purchased the food which they sold.   There were 52 vehicles

[ Read More ]

EXTRA LARGE TALENT

EXTRA LARGE TALENT – Pape Christian Church was blessed with a song celebration by Duke Mason on Saturday evening, May 6, 2018. Duke and his wife, Stephanie, visit Pape a couple of times each year. Duke and his father, Lowell Mason, will be at Pape for worship in song at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, October

[ Read More ]

Cedar County Historical Society meets April 30

By Connie Maupin The monthly meeting of the Cedar County Historical Society was held in the Stockton museum on April 30. Those present were President Judy Nichols, Vice President Judith Cain, Secretary Connie Maupin, Treasurer Shirley Potts, Luella Phipps, Sharyl Henry, Joe Phillips, Ellis Benham, Kenneth Potts, Chris Barber, Bob Estes and Bob Phillips. Bob

[ Read More ]

Twentieth Century Club meets

Submitted by Lana Sue Jones On April 9, 11 members of the Twentieth Century Club met in the home of hostess Georgia Detwiler with Ruth Woody serving as co-hostess. President Sandi Eaves called the meeting to order. Our unfinished business was to have the committee present the slate of new officers for next year. Also,

[ Read More ]

Gardening Charlotte

Catching Swarms Every spring, beekeepers you may know will get just a little giddy at the mention of “swarms.” While members of the general public conjure up some low budget Hollywood disaster movie at even the thought, to a beekeeper a swarm is everything from “free bees” to an invitation to an adventure. First, honeybees

[ Read More ]