One of the highest input costs for a cattle operation is meeting cattle daily nutrient needs.  One way to reduce the cost is to increase grazing forage consumption and reduce grain-based supplements.  Two ways to do that include increasing forage growth and utilization efficiency as well as forage quality consumed.

“You may ask how do I do this and the answer is management intensive grazing (MiG),” says Patrick Davis MU Extension Regional Livestock Field Specialist.

University of Missouri Extension agriculture specialists, Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) employees and Missouri State Soil and Water Conservation Districts (SWCD) work together to educate the public on utilizing MiG in their cattle operation through regional grazing schools.  “These schools provide classroom instruction as well as hands-on farm demonstrations to educate cattle producers on using MiG to improve grazing management and profit potential of their cattle operation,” says Davis.  Furthermore, school attendees are eligible for county SWCD cost share or NRCS cost share through environmental quality incentives program (EQIP) to implement a MiG system.

Upcoming regional grazing schools include:

· May 9 and 10 at the First Baptist Church, Osceola.  Fee, which includes meals and materials, is $130 per person or $150 per couple sharing materials.  For registration and more information, please contact the St. Clair County SWCD office at 417-646-8108, Ext. 3.

· May 14-16 at the Vernon County Fairgrounds home economics building, Nevada.  Fee, which includes meals and materials, is $130 per person or $150 per couple sharing materials.  To register or for more information please contact the Vernon County SWCD office at 417-667-8137, Ext. 3.

These schools have limits on the number of attendees, so if you are interested in attending please contact the offices as soon as possible.  To receive cost share benefits, you need to attend one school.

For more information on cattle and pasture management, contact your local MU Extension Agronomy and or Livestock Field Specialist or visit