Happy New Year. It’s New Year’s day as I sit down for our chat. At 26 ̊ is it OK if we move this inside?
I didn’t make any resolutions again this year. Couldn’t think of anything I wanted to change. And I didn’t ask for suggestions or a second opinion.
– First baby of the new year – 21 businesses will donate an impressive array of prizes to the first baby born to parents who reside in one of the communities served by the El Dorado Springs Sun – see list above Rock Wall on Page 1. We are in new territory since Cedar County Memorial Hospital no longer delivers babies. So, the parents or some family member must notify the Sun within 48 hours of the birth.
– Very useful, I hope, NOAA weather map: http://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/conusWeek.php
You’ll see a map of the United States on the right and some charts on the left. Just hover your cursor over the part of the chart you want (day, time, percip possibility) and the map will change colors to give you the answer. A colored bar at the top will give you the percentage.
– John Alexander, who lives a mile west of the Sac River bridge on Hwy. 54, drove to his mailbox about two weeks ago and noticed a Highway Patrolman go by driving slowly. The Patrolman turned around and came back to ask John if he had seen any “big cats.” The Patrolman had just seen one run across Hwy. 54. He said there was a beaten (probably deer) path in timber where the cat ran in.
John checked later and although the Patrolman had contacted them, Conservation did not record it as a mountain lion sighting because it was not verified. They require a photo or a track. Funny that the court system will accept a trooper’s word that you were speeding and fine you accordingly.
– Wayne LaPierre, president of the NRA said, “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.” He advocated letting school officials carry guns.
– Governor Nixon has sent a letter to each superintendent in the state saying he is opposed to a bill some legislator filed which would let educators carry guns in school. Wonder if his Highway Patrol security team carries guns in schools.
I’m in favor of teachers and administrators, who are qualified, who want to do so and who are trained, carrying guns in schools. I think if that is permitted, they should be required to carry the firearm on their person at all times. You know that if a gun is left in a desk it 1) won’t be available when they need it and 2) some kid(s) would get their hands on one.
– Something to look forward to…In 2013, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union address will occur on the same day.
This is an ironic juxtaposition of events. One involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to an insignificant creature of little intelligence for prognostication.
The other involves a groundhog.