Community

60th Anniversary

JD and Jean Wilson of Walker celebrated 60 years of marriage on Feb. 16. JD and Jean were united in holy matrimony in Ridgeland, SC, on Feb. 16, 1957 after being high school sweethearts in El Dorado Springs. They made their home in Savannah, GA while JD was in the Air Force. Jean spent these

[ Read More ]

Gardening Charlotte

March Gardening Chores This is the month when I am ready to push my potted plants wintering inside out but in my heart I know it’s too early, our last frost day is supposed to be in May. This year, though, everything seems to be at least one month ahead of schedule. According to the

[ Read More ]

TOPS baked potato luncheon March 16

TOPS Chapter 319 El Dorado Springs (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) met in the Church of Christ meeting room on Thursday, Feb. 23. Sheryl opened the meeting in the absence of Robbie who had surgery on her shoulder on Wednesday. Kay led us in singing “We’ll Lose Weight”. We said our TOPS and KOPS pledges. Sheryl

[ Read More ]

Cottey College among top 10 colleges who do this best

U.S. News & World Report announces that Cottey College has been named to its Top 10 Colleges Where Joining a Club Is Easy. This announcement follows an earlier announcement by the same ranking organization citing Cottey among the Top Regional Colleges in the Midwest for 2017. According to U.S. News & World Report, the move

[ Read More ]

Gardening Charlotte

Winter Tomatoes Over the years, I have mentioned to friends that I grow tomatoes in winter. I know there are some skeptics so meet Howard, my tomato plant for this winter. Howard is probably a Roma by the shape of the fruit. It’s a good guess because I tend not to worry about labeling my

[ Read More ]

TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly)

TOPS Chapter 319 El Dorado Springs met in the Church of Christ sanctuary on Thursday, Feb. 16. Kay led us in singing “Valentine’s Day.” We said our TOPS and KOPS pledges. Robbie led us in roll call. We had twenty-eight members weigh in and the chapter had a net loss of 13.0 lbs.  Steve was

[ Read More ]

Providing information

MUMPS MUMPS Q:  I am concerned because I have heard that mumps is moving north, and was recently found in a nearby community.  What am I supposed to be looking for? A:  Mumps is a viral illness that causes painful swelling of the side of the face (parotid glands).  They are salivary glands between the

[ Read More ]

February is Heart Month at Five Loaves

Five Loaves, a free life skills seminar hosted by the Dederick Christian Church, will begin at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 23. This will be an evening to share information and to learn while having fun. The theme for the evening is Heart Month and will feature food that is heart healthy and foods we love.

[ Read More ]

Cards of Thanks

Thank you to all who said a kind word, brought food, sent a flower or a card for Olaf Ehlers’ funeral. It means so much to us. A special thanks to Bland-Hackleman Funeral Home, Brent Bland and John Koch for a beautiful service. We want to thank members of El Dorado Springs Church of Christ

[ Read More ]