Community

JUST IN TIME FOR A FAMILY FEAST

JUST IN TIME FOR A FAMILY FEAST – Bruce Rogers, representing the Osage Prairie Thunderin’ Toms chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation presented 10 turkeys to the Church of Christ Food Pantry at 302 E. Hospital Rd. in El Dorado Springs. With him is Pantry Director Danita Ehlers. Ehlers said the birds would be

[ Read More ]

Drue Hoagland studies Arabic

The opportunities for expanding global knowledge at the University of North Georgia (UNG) continue to grow as new programs are added. During the 2015-16 academic year, some 380 UNG students participated in study abroad and international internships, a number that has steadily increased over the past four years. Drue Hoagland of Schell City, studied Arabic

[ Read More ]

Thank yous

Thanks to all who sent or gave cards, gifts, made phone calls, expressed kind words or came to help me celebrate my 90th birthday. Thanks to Cyndee Scott and Danelle Carter for taking care of all the details for my celebration.  May God bless each one of you.     Luella Phipps

[ Read More ]

Turkey tips: Buying and thawing

Don’t get stuck with a turkey that’s too small for the feast or one that’s still frozen solid on Thanksgiving morning. Buying the right size turkey and planning for defrost time can prevent Thanksgiving Day disasters. “If you want to have leftovers after Thanksgiving, make sure you buy one pound of whole turkey per person,”

[ Read More ]

CCMH FUND RAISER

CCMH FUND RAISER – The Cedar County Memorial Hospital coupled their annual fundraising dinner with a movie at the Opera House Theater on Thursday, Nov. 10. Guests had the opportunity to bid on six gifts baskets in a silent auction. After a dinner of pulled pork, cheesy potatoes, baked beans, cole slaw and chocolate sheet

[ Read More ]

IRIS BELLES GET READY FOR 2017

IRIS BELLES GET READY FOR 2017 – Members of the Iris Belles Garden Club made plans for the 2017 year over lunch at El Dorado Springs Mexican Restaurant on Nov 7, 2016.  The lineup for programs and projects for the New Year is pretty exciting.  Iris Belles meet the third Friday of each month to

[ Read More ]

SERVICE WITH A SMILE

SERVICE WITH A SMILE – Each year the Preserve Our Past Society hosts a Holiday Tea in the Wayside Inn Museum Dining Room with male members of POPS serving as waiters.  This year’s servers were (form left) Troy Allison, Tim Tabor, Bob Coleman and Bruce Rogers. Loel Wilson, between Bob and Bruce, isn’t a member

[ Read More ]

Gardening to distraction

Tucking bees in for winter The first year beekeeper sitting next to me at the Fall Bee Festival in Kansas City acted very nervous. When I asked if she was ok, she said she was worried about what to do to get her bees ready for winter. Bees don’t hibernate, they spend winter literally shivering

[ Read More ]

90th BIRTHDAY

90th BIRTHDAY – Retired teacher Luella Phipps celebrated her 90th birthday at the Church of God (Holiness) on Sunday, Nov. 13. Many friends and former students attended including her first student, Jim Lovewell.

[ Read More ]

Thanksgiving challenge for TOPS

TOPS Chapter 9319 El Dorado Springs met in the Church of Christ meeting room on Thursday, Nov. 10. Kay gave the program today on Top 10 ways to keep your TOPS chapter active and fun. She said we already do a lot of these things. Get everyone involved. Have a tasting party. Have everyone bring

[ Read More ]