Community

TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly)

TOPS Chapter 319 El Dorado Springs met in the Church of Christ meeting room on Thursday, Dec. 1. Kay led us in singing “Deck The Fridge.” Robbie announced the winners of her Thanksgiving Challenge. The TOPS who lost 2 lbs or more after the Thanksgiving holiday were, Warren, Susan and Emily. They won free dues.

[ Read More ]

Cedar County Historical Society meets

by Connie Maupin The Nov. 17 meeting Cedar County Historical Society was called to order by President Judy Nichols. Members present were President Judy Nichols, Vice President Bob Phillips, Assistant Treasurer Shirley Potts, Interim Secretary Connie Maupin, Luella Phipps, Sharyl Henry and Kenneth Potts. Nichols reported work is in progress for the reprinting of “Lyceum

[ Read More ]

Gardening to distraction

Christmas and Thanksgiving Cactuses GTD If I had to guess based on the stories people have shared with me, one out of every two homes in the area where I live have either a Thanksgiving or Christmas cactus. They can become like members of the family, passed down from one generation to the next with

[ Read More ]

Wheelers married 50 years

The family of Larry and Cheryl (Faubion) Wheeler of Arcola request a card shower in honor of the couples 50th anniversary on Dec. 15. Larry and Cheryl are celebrating with a trip to Tennessee in December and then a trip with the entire family this summer. The couple have four children – Paula (Terry) Rodabaugh

[ Read More ]

Special Road board meets

The El Dorado Springs Special Road District board held its November meeting Tuesday evening, Nov. 29, in the district headquarters on South First Street. Present were board members Lalan Cole and Ron Swopes. Mike Bush was not present. Also in attendance were the bookkeepers, Linda Breeden and the district employee, Carl Swager. The board approved

[ Read More ]

2016 Chamber of Commerce Christmas lighting well attended

Ten – Nine – Eight – as the countdown continued at the 2016 Chamber of Commerce Christmas Lighting Celebration and El Dorado Springs became illuminated for the holiday season! The evening saw several hundred friends and neighbors gather in the Park for the festivities last Monday. Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Jackson Tough welcomed the

[ Read More ]

Thank yous

The family of Dustin Littlewood would like to thank all of those who stopped by, sent prayers and words of sympathy, food, cards and everyone who thought of us in our time of loss. Maurice and Ardella Fugate Brian, Janelle, Turner and Aidan Fugate Kirk and Kristi Fugate Art, Deanna, Lance and Cassidy Littlewood On

[ Read More ]

Holiday food safety tips

You may have cherished memories of holiday meals with friends and family. If you’re preparing a memorable holiday meal of your own, make food safety a priority so guests don’t remember it for all the wrong reasons. Hosting a holiday meal often means having more people at the table, serving a wider variety of dishes

[ Read More ]

Gardening to distraction

Christmas or Thanksgiving Cactus I have had them for as long as I can remember, most of them gifts from friends who gave me a start. Although we call all of them Christmas cactus, there are two different plants. Thanksgiving cactus (Schlumbergera truncata) is what is currently sold as Christmas cactus because buyers preferred getting

[ Read More ]

Twentieth Century Club news

by Lana Sue Jones Thirteen members of the Twentieth Century Club met on Nov. 14, in the home of Sandi Eaves with Sherry Wiseman serving as co-hostess. President Sandi Eaves called the meeting to order. The minutes of our last meeting and the treasure’s report were approved. The committee report were given and discussed. Lana

[ Read More ]